We invite colleagues to an informal discussion about Greek American and Modern Greek transnational studies. Possible topics and questions for reflection:
• As a field of studies rather than an academic discipline, Greek American studies faces the challenge of fostering conversation across disciplines. How do we address this issue? What needs to be done to establish cross-disciplinary exchange and avoid disciplinary insularity? Workshops? Non-specialized essays? What are the possible venues?
• How do we teach Greek America? What is the aim? What has worked well in the classroom? Challenges? Create a venue to share reflections and resources?
• Think of ways to increase the visibility of Greek American studies in discussions about ethnicity and diaspora. How can we bring Modern Greek studies and Greek American studies closer?
• Identify concerns of young scholars
• Open forum – participants raise their own issues
Meeting Place and Time: Saturday, November 16, 12:15 pm. We have a half-an hour window during lunch break, so please bring your lunch to the Registration Table and then we will convene in one of the adjoining rooms.